Saturday, July 25, 2015

In the Swim IV etc

To report:
Have had now a further 3 duncks in the water. Thursday, Friday, and now Sunday.

Thursday 23rd July 2015 I slipped out from work at 2pm and returned 3.15pm. It takes 15m to walk down to the pool, and hence same back, leaving 45m; 30 to 35m in the pool and 10m showering, dressing.

Thursday I did 18 laps, with about 3 or 4 without a stop, then stopping at least every 2nd lap.

Friday 24th July 2015, as I had a rugby dinner to go to at the Syntax in the evening, I was keen to get a bit of 'sport' in - although knowing that it might leave me de-energised. Everything has a plus side, and that is that I wouldn't be keen to stay out late and over consume at the beer trough.

So, working through lunch, then going about 1.30pm, did the full 20 laps, with 5 in a straight line to start!  Very good work. I think the time was about 40 or so minutes.

Sunday 26th July 2015: Determined as I am to ensure that I progress, it involves regularity, and each time I go to the pool I feel I'm getting ahead of myself, and thus can't be criticised (by myself).  I'm keen to do 3 or maybe 4 times a week; initially I want to get the continuous laps up to maybe 10 in a row, then get the time down to 35min for 20 laps, and then start to look at either timing to see how many I can do in 35 min or aim for 30 laps.

The new goggles are a dream. Comfortable, full face version, and nice warm light.

I had watched the Australia v Argentina rugby test this morning with Stephen Bourke, and had a large breakfats or everything, so was quite swollen with food.  I knew that only exercise would help.

Sarah was heading out north, so dropped me at the pool as the rain started again, and was drifting like snow. It is quite cold, wintery, blowy, and raining, but on occasion, there is a blue sky with nothing in it but wind. Curious day. Typical but excessively 'Hobart'.

So hit the water about 2.05pm, and worked until 2.48pm - a little over 40 minutes (optomist, in fact, closer to 45 min) BUT felt like I had reserve, and had enjoyed it (with 5 laps to start with no stop, and numerous 3s or 4s along the way.

I would say I have 20 laps now capability at 40 min, as long as I stop less. I should work that down once I've done 20 laps without stopping to at max 40 min.

Anyway, all that drama isn't the point: I expect to continue to feel the enjoyment of growing strength across the shoulders, comfortable breathing, straighter back, absence of lower back discomfort, and soon some reduction of the fat that floats around the top of my legs, my waist and chest.  That will make trowsers more comfortable.

The feeling now, 2 hours after finishing is of comfort and relaxation.l No agitation, enjoying a cup of tea.

This is going to be important to make me better company on the holiday we will be having in Spain and England in Sept and October 2015.  Mark my words!

SO: keeping count: I think that is 5 goes in a little over a week.

Starting this week on Sunday, I have one day done, and should aim for 3 more: M,W, F or any other combination!
Aim: 6 laps without a stop. Then sets of 4, and 20 under 40min.


Here is a photo of the 'old' Hobart Swimming Pool, I think it was taken on opening day, back in about 1960 or earlier.  It survived until about 1995, then the council 'spearheaded' grafting money from around the place to build the new pool. This photo was taken by my Dad. I suspect before I was allowed to try to swim. The water was cold, it was only good in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment